Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The dreaded first post...

Ahh the dreaded first post. I've written, deleted and re-written this post several times. It's hard to know what this blog will be a year from now or even a month from now. With that acknowledged, here's what this blog is right now...a reflection of my life. So what's up? Here goes

1) Running- my last run was horrible. One of those runs where nothing seems to go right. The sweat won't stay out of your eyes and the miles drag on. 6.25 miles total in just over an hour and ten minutes. The up side to all of this is I ran the day after a crawfish boil (hydration level was somewhere around negative 6...tons of salt and almost no water. Not exactly good for a run on a hot day), during the hottest part of the day. This Saturday is the Crescent City Classic. I haven't trained a ton so I've set a goal to finish in under 1 hour 10 minutes. Since the run from hell took about that long, I'm feeling pretty confident!
2) Eating- I've been trying to get "back on track" after Mardi Gras and some time out of town. I was doing fairly well and came up with a yummy quick and healthy(er) desert for you to try.

Quick and Easy "Strawberry Shortcake"
Bisquick Heart Healthy Mix (1 cup)
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/3 cup of fat free milk and mixed into a batter.
Drop the batter by the tablespoon full onto a cookie sheet and baked for about 15 minutes at 425 degrees (this part is on the back of the box...I can't take credit for it!). Take plain greek yogurt, frozen strawberries and splenda to make a "filling". I just eyeballed this part (and probably made too much filling but the leftovers made a great snack this morning). You could also go more traditional with fresh berries and whipped topping but I'm not a fan of whipped cream and I didn't have any fresh berries on hand. The husband isn't a yogurt fan and put maple syrup and butter on his...he seemed less than trilled. Let me know if you try any variations!

So good! I really want to come up with a way to make the "shortcake" part of it a bit healthier or at least make it from scratch but for now it's a quick and easy fix for my sweetooth! For a version using more "real" ingredients...try Tina's...I know I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment